A new blog is a lot like a new notebook. Blank pages, a fresh start; just waiting to be filled with ideas, thoughts, sketches…exciting, but also intimidating. Whenever I buy a new notebook or sketchbook, there is always that moment of trepidation where I freeze; am I really ready to put my mark on this fancy new paper? Are my ideas really worth recording? That’s probably why starting this blog has taken so long. Starting a new notebook is one thing but a blog that will be read by other people? That’s a whole other level of intimidating.
I tried blogging briefly a few years ago, but I realized quickly I didn’t have much to say. I was busy with college and work, not to mention trying to have a social life, so my creative endeavors ended up on the back burner. Now I’m a little older and a little more balanced. I graduated with my Bachelor’s degree in Art History, left my retail job, and started focusing on the creative things that bring me joy. I took up crochet and opened an online shop. For the past year and a half, I’ve been unemployed; most of my focus has been on crocheting and finding other enjoyable projects that I can incorporate into my shop. I recently fell headfirst into the world of 18″ doll collecting and have started seeing the endless project possibilities not only for my shop but for my own enjoyment as well. To fund all these new project ideas, I’ve started a part time job at a local coffee shop. I’m just finishing my second week, and it’s kind of intense but really great.
Despite my initial nervousness, I’m really excited to try my hand at blogging again! I’ve already been brainstorming a few posts. I’ve always enjoyed writing and doing it for an audience is going to be an interesting experience!
A little about yours truly:
- My name is Renee. I’m a Pisces, an introvert, and my Myers-Briggs type is INFJ/INFP.
- I’m married and together with my wonderful partner Mike we have one very rotten fur-baby: a cat named Radar.
- I majored in Art History and minored in Fine Art while in college. I joke that my college debt was all worth it when I finally understood the symbolism of Frank N Furter with the Creation of Adam behind him during the pool scene in The Rocky Horror Picture show.
- I’m vegan as of December 30, 2015. Prior to this I was a pescetarian and vegetarian for two years, with periods of veganism interspersed.
- I spend a LOT of time crocheting, though I am teaching myself to knit.
- My favorite holiday is Halloween and I start planning for it early (as in…January/February/March) only to get overwhelmed and lose steam by October. (I’m planning to change that this year!)
- I once rode Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point and am convinced my soul left my body for .5 seconds. Having conquered that I am now virtually unafraid of any roller coaster but I am still petrified of Ferris wheels.
- Thrifting (thrift shopping) is one of my favorite hobbies. I live 5 minutes from two thrift stores, and there are three more within a 15 minute drive. It’s a dangerous situation that I take advantage of as often as possible.
- Someday I want to own an art gallery/coffee shop/studio space in a cool city where I can rent space to artists and drink lattes and sell all the miscellaneous things I like to create.
Why is this blog called The Pineapple Hippie? For a few reasons. Pineapple is one of my favorite fruits (second only to mango) and holds a place of honor in the name of my shop, Black Pineapple Creations. I often get called a hippie since I don’t eat meat (and I’m sure my interest in natural health and beauty, hooping, and 60s/70s music has something to do with it as well). Ergo, I’m the hippie who runs Black Pineapple Creations!
I can’t wait to see where this blog will go!
Until next time, Renee The Pineapple Hippie